• 1 red onion
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2-4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 fresh red chile, seeded and sliced
• 1 eggplant cut into small chunks
• 1 small piece gingerroot, peeled and grated
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• ½ tsp turmeric
• 1-2 cinnamon sticks
• ½-1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut in small chunks
• 8 oz sweet potatoes, cut in small chunks
• ½ cup no-soak prunes
• 2-2 ½ cups vegetables stock
• 4 tomatoes, chopped
• 14 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• cilantro to garnish
Finely chop onion. Heat in the oil in a large, heavy-bottom pan with a tight fitting lid, and cook the onion, garlic, chili, and eggplant, stirring frequently, for 5-8 minutes, or until softened.
Add the ginger, cumin, ground coriander, turmeric and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Bruise the cinnamon stick.
Add the cinnamon, squash, sweet potatoes, prunes, stock, and tomatoes to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, then cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Add chickpeas to the pan and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon and serve garnished with the fresh cilantro.